Get Psychotic with IndieCan

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Fri May 11 21:14:31 CDT 2007

   Does life begin at 40?  IndieCan Radio is back with a fun show for
Episode 40.  Montreal’s Psychotic 4 laid down their “wham, bam, thank
you glam” rock on IndieCan Studio while in T.Dot this week.  The five
guys of Psychotic 4 (yes, we explain that) share a few laughs and
tunes with us.

   Phil Klygo is CEO and toilet bowl cleaner of Weewerk Records – a
management and recording company that doing it’s part to preserve some
important and compelling local indie music including Great Lake
Swimmers, United Steel Workers of Montreal and Barzin.  He is also
gatekeeper of the music festival at CMW.  I talked to Phil on the cusp
of this year’s CMW and this weeks show includes insights into the
shinny on managing artists and venues for this years music festival.

   Other great artists include Barzin, The Beautiful Unknown,
Halifax’s Down With The Butterfly, Elliott Brood and brand new Eden
Ants and Sam Hell.

   “It was a Stormy Night
”
A lot of you know the technical tsunami that IndieCan endured in the
month of April.  Our web server who evidently doesn’t back up their
client data had a crash and could not recover www.indiecan.com[1].  We
are now into hour-80 of reloading the site and you will find there are
still some links that give you a 404 message.  We’re working on it.
Thanks to everyone that’s pitched in to help so far.

   Wave II of April’s shit-luck was a double-duty hard drive crash.
On good advice I bought two 250mb hard drives.  One comes from studio
to studio with us to record shows and the other keeps a copy of every
track.  Sounds crash-proof doesn’t it.  Both went down within a week
of each other.  One was on a bench being looked at and Sam and I were
creating a new show with the other one when it pooched on us.  Neither
could be easily recovered.  It could be $1,200 to $4,500 per drive to
be back in action.

   That explains the long wait for Episode 40.  Lost on those drives
was a fabulous recording session with Down With The Butterfly with
producer/engineer Laurence Currie sitting in + a whole CMW night at
The Savannah Room.  Well if this isn’t Indie life, what is, right?  As
Gayle of Team IndieCan always says, “Joe, get out of the way – I’m
trying to shoot the band.”  Actually the more relevant motto of hers’
would be “You can never back up too much.”  And I recall that my
father used to tell me, “problems you can solve by throwing money at
aren’t problems at all.  If you have your health, you have
everything.”  Oh yeah, the other issue was I was sick as a dog for
three weeks of April, too.

For those of you who have asked, “How can we help?” – Here’s a
thought:  If you’ve always been planning to buy yourself THE INDIE
BIBLE (http://www.indiebible.com/ican[2] ) or the fabulous documentary
WHAT IS INDIE? (http://www.whatisindiemovie.com/indiecanstore.cfm[3])
 and you haven’t gotten around to it, buy one today off our web site
and you get a discount + IndieCan gets $5.  That will all go directly
to getting IndieCan back on line and your support will be appreciated.

   So, thanks for your support, your concerns and kudos and be assured
that you can’t keep a good man or a mad man down so Team IndieCan will
carry on, no matter what.

   NXNE is just around the corner and we’ll be bringing you news every
week about that.  Come say “hello” at www.myspace.com/indiecanmusic[4]
and remember - be good to each other, we’re all in this together.

Happy Weekend and a special “happy birthday” to Meg-A-Music Toronto Mary.

   Joe Chisholm and Team IndieCan.

   Take me to the TORONTO INDIE SCENE now! http://www.indiecan.com[5]

Links:
------