Southern Rock, a great loss to Canadian music and putting the X back in X-mas

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Fri Dec 5 03:06:08 CST 2008

Greetings earthlings!

Platinum Blonde Bassist Kenny MacLean recently and suddenly passed away of
natural causes and a tribute was held Thursday December 4th.  Anyone who
wishing to pay tribute to MacLean are being asked to donate to a special
fund that will support scholarships at Humber College's School of Creative
and Performing Arts.
His family says it's a fitting tribute to honour his lifelong passion for
music.
MacLean was preparing to release his third solo CD and his band was in the
midst of planning a long-awaited reunion gig.

http://www.platinumblonde.com/

https://giving.humber.ca:441/images/Kenny%20MacLean%20tribute%20pledge%20form%20Nov%2008.pdf
If you have any problem with the link, I can send you a PDF.

This Week’s Radio show fights off winter with a little southern rock:  New
Soul Cowboys are our feature artists this week.  It’s good fun.  Also, did
you know the editor to The Indie Bible is Canadian?  Yes, David Wimble is
from Ottawa and he talks to us by phone about the 10th edition of The
Indie Bible and the new Indie Venue Bible.  David is a musician who 10
years ago thought that artists could really benefit from

.. and so he
did something about it.  It was nice to catch up with David and I am happy
to have you listen in on our conversation.

Also, this week, 54 40’s Northern Soul + Black Mountain and The
Weakerthans make up our western Canada contribution.  Share and Mardeen
represent from the east and multi-award winners, Kathleen Edwards and
Japhy kick some song writing but from Ontario.

Listen now:  http://www.indiecan.com/110IndieCanRadio.mp3
Read all about it:  http://www.indiecan.com/radio.htm#episode110

Next week is our 54 40 show, and if you can’t wait until Monday, here’s a
sneak preview:  http://au.youtube.com/user/IndieCanJoe

Just for fun, there is a new FACEBOOK event page called: Steven Harpers
Last Day in Office.  I don’t know if Facebook steers political wind but
there are over 17,000 confirmed to attend, and another 22,000 maybe faces.
 How funny is that?

http://www.new.facebook.com/wall.php?id=60190098992#/event.php?eid=60190098992

We don’t have 17,000 coming each week for IndieCan Wednesdays, but we do
have two more before we shut down until January 5th 2009.  December 10,
December 17, then it’s see you next year.  If you’re in Toronto stop by
and say “Hi.”  Here is a preview to help you plan your December 10th:  If
you haven’t been yet, everyone leaves happy.
Kathy Taler - http://www.kathytaler.ca
Top Dead Centre - http://www.myspace.com/topdeadcentretheband
The 40 Thieves - http://www.myspace.com/fourtythieves

How’s “THIS” time of year treating you?  Here’s something that’s some
useful food for thought that can alter attitudes about consumerism.  It’s
a 20 minute commitment, so have a look now, or write it down for later.  I
don’t mean to be the one to “Help Put the X back in X-mas” but consider
this Joe’s Season’s Greetings (opinions expressed by loud mouth Joe
blah,
blah, blah
 do not necessarily represent that of IndieCan as a whole
blah,
blah):   http://www.storyofstuff.com/

But while we’re on the “gift – giving” topic, if you have an independent
musician who you love, Indie Bible products do make meaningful,
career-stimulating gifts.  Before you even hear the interview with David
Wimble, here’s the punchline:

The Indie Bible has over 4500 publications that will review independent
music around the world.  There are 3000 radio stations, like IndieCan,
that will play indie music.  The cost of Edition 10 is $35.  If you buy
from the IndieCan web site, $5 for each one bought goes to IndieCan Radio
to help with our operating costs, so that’s like an extra something in our
stocking while you make someone else merry this season.

http://www.indiebible.com/ican/

The same holds true for The Indie Venue Bible.  Each region is $25.
Canada is one region.  The USA is broken down into 6 areas.  Buy just what
you need or get a discount for all of them.

https://nt4.magma.ca/bigmeteor/ivbican_order.cfm

So, if you help a loved one, you help keep IndieCan around for another
year too.

Thanks as always for supporting Canadian independent music.  Until next
week, I remain,

Yours in service,

Joe Chisholm
host
IndieCan Radio
http://www.indiecan.com
http://www.myspce.com/indiecanmusic
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24421965144
Write to us or reply here:  info at indiecan