The Great ONE #99 - The Party Starts September 17

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Wed Sep 10 11:56:26 CDT 2008

INDIECAN NEWS OF NOTE:

IndieCan Radio celebrates Episode 100 next week and it’s party time in
Toronto and Ottawa.

Toronto’s party will be a free night at the ANNEX WreckRoom (Bathurst and
Bloor) with our friends from Vancouver, THE PAINTED BIRDS and THE
FEBRUARYS + Montreal’s SIDHARTA Wednesday September 17th at 9 PM.  Please
check out this Event Page if you’re on Facebook or www.indiecan.com :

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=30758047399&view=user#/event.php?eid=30758047399

In Ottawa we are at the Rainbow Bistro Bar September 19th Grace over
Diamonds, Mike Yates and the Candidates, Barrel House and Montreal’s Sule.

The September 17th IndieCan Wednesday’s will be our inaugural weekly
event.  We aim to bring outstanding music and community to mid-town
Toronto every Wednesday.  We want to create an indie presence in the Annex
area of Toronto like there has never been before and what better place
than The Annex WreckRoom, 794 Bathurst Street @ Bloor, 2nd floor.  Many
have put their love and devotion to helping ensure our 100 Episodes of
IndieCan and you know who you are so please, RSVP, come out and let us
recognize you for your kind help if you are in Toronto on the 17th.

So many music fans have celebrated emerging music with such devotion and
commitment we wanted to pay them back each week with a free night of
outstanding talent, where industry, bands and fans can relax a little and
Rock ‘n’ Roll a lot.  Of course IndieCan will lend our support to any of
your other Wednesday night events – just call us and tell us, but The
Annex was an area of town we felt needed some love and we hope to make
this THE place to be every week for those who are or want to be part of
the indie music community.

FYI, we are currently looking to fill one September and several October
spots so if you are an artist or love an artist you think should be
involved, let RJ GUHA know at:  RJ at kindling.ca

THE LAST TWO WEEKS of INDIECAN RAIDIO:

http://www.indiecan.com/99IndieCanRadio.mp3

At IndieCan is generally accepted that Justin Rutledge is one of the great
Canadian songwriters of any era and we are lucky to know him.  Personally
there are many artist that have been given the handle, “prolific,” “epic,”
or “great” some of it I agree with and some of it I just don’t get.
Justin Rutledge I get; I relate to his songs, I enjoy them, I appreciate
the humility and the genius. Episode 99 had to be a “Great One” if it was
to be at all, and having Justin performing “live at IndieCan” helped make
this show just that.  Also this week, we go to Southside Shuffle in Port
Credit to see how Mississauga is going Mississippi and more great music
from coast-to-coast.

http://www.indiecan.com/98IndieCanRadio.mp3

We are reflective as we look at what the musical landscape has shown us
over our short tenure of these first 100 shows and in this hour we look at
great Canadian artists/bands/performers that are no more, have packed it
in, are indie-carnage.  We morn the loss of those who’s music was glowing
so bright but we celebrate the legacy of what was left behind.  We are
reminded that being a great writer and performer isn’t enough to ensure a
bright career – we are reminded that even the best soldiers aren’t
bullet-proof.  It’s not all wake material, mind you, we also find some new
songs from great bands that are going strong and you may want to say “I
knew them when
”

Things to see and read:
We have Crash Parallel and David Usher from The Junction Music and Art
Festival (coming real soon), Southside Shuffle and The Canadian Music Café
coverage being added to every day so check it out now and check back
daily.

Weird Things going on with this mailing list?
Have you gotten any weird messages from us or anywhere else that said
“from IndieCan?” in the last 10 days.  We think we’ve de-bugged the
problems.  I hope you weren’t effected, but if you think you might be in
some way, please let us know.  We haven’t sent an Email Blast out for two
weeks now so we can sort things out.

We’d also like your thoughts on the first 100 Episodes of IndieCan.  Send
your thoughts, well wishes, criticisms, suggestions to us:
info at indiecan.com
416-239-8737

As always, thank you for the great privilege of being part of your
celebration of Canadian emerging music each week.

Warm regards,

Joe Chisholm
Host
IndieCan Radio