Festival coverage, Hillside, Beaches Jazz, Van's Warped Tour and Ottawa Blues Fest

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Wed Jul 29 19:44:15 CDT 2009

OMG, August is almost here – is anyone else stunned by that news?  It’s
almost time to be thinking about Halloween costumes this year.  Sorry, I
don’t mean to wish your summer away I am just feeling a little more
stunned than usual.

Maybe it’s being waterlogged from the Mudslide which was Hillside 2009.
What a remarkable weekend IndieCan had there.  It rained, we got struck by
lightning, there was flooding and things stuck in the mud.  But the music
never stopped and the spirit of Hillside never dampened, despite the
waterlogged sleeping bags and wrinkly fingers and toes.  For those of you
who don’t know Hillside, there are always “never before seen” and “never
to be seen again” happenings.  Artists from different regions of the world
that have never played together are put to the task of entertaining a
fairly sophisticated musical audience with very little preparation or
direction.  Indian drum troops and African Lute  players were teamed up
with travel weary folkies and rockers and something magical always comes
from it.  Fans always leave Hillside with an appreciation for a new genre
of music or spoken word.  Artists always comment that they’ve never been
to a festival anything like this.

IndieCan commentary is posted.  Pictures are up, Radio is ready to stream
(that’s not a play on words referring to all the water at Hillside this
year).  Videos are delayed.  YouTube keeps bouncing my vids.  Anyone else
having YouTroubles out there?  info at indiecan.com if you can shed some
light or share some frustration.

IndieCan was also at Vans Warped Tour, Ottawa Blues Festival and Beaches
Jazz Festival so we are uploading more content every day so keep coming
any time you need your fill of more of the “best music you’ve never
heard.”

INDIECAN RADIO THIS WEEK:
We’ll spend two weeks looking at Hillside.  On Episode 141 we have “live
at IndieCan” Hillside artists past and present.   Julie Doiron, Justin
Rutledge, Mother Mother and Jenn Grant singing on the new Share CD are on
this weeks show.  From across the pond, some of the new Buck Brothers
you’ve been waiting for + Wilbursilver.  And from Pacific to Atlantic, we
have The Wind Whistlers, Rachelle Van Zanten, Sass Jordan, The Blues
Element, The Blackhearth Hounds, Sam Roberts and The Danks.

http://www.indiecan.com/radio.htm#episode141

http://www.indiecan.com/141IndieCanRadio.mp3

Festival coverage starts here:  http://www.indiecan.com

Next week we’ll hear about how many volunteers it takes to put on a music
festival, we’ll introduce Library Voices and FRED to IndieCan listeners as
well as other Hillside highlights – Great Lake Swimmers, Patrick Watson,
The Birthday Boys and Treasa Lavaseaur.

Thanks for reading – thanks for supporting great emerging music.
Team IndieCan
http://www.indiecan.com
http://www.myspace.com/indiecanmusic
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24421965144
and somewhere on Twitter
. I dunno, if you’re there find us and we’ll be
your favorite twit.