Here we are at The Junos :-) Hear what Neill Dixon says about this year's CMW

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Fri Mar 27 03:01:54 CDT 2009

Where to begin – we have SXSW, The Juno’s and more on CMW?  I was on
Granville Street in Vancouver, stage left, listening to Jon and Roy from
Victoria, Hey Rosetta! from St. John’s and Hot, Hot Heat; talking with
some of the JunoFest bands and Adaline, just back from Austin, Texas, who
I last saw singing at The Supermarket in Toronto as part of Canadian Music
Week.  She said, “In three days I am going to have a big cry.”  “Why?” I
asked.  “Because life is going to go back to normal and this will all be
over.”  March has been a remarkable month for music.

INDIECAN RADIO http://www.indiecan.com/125IndieCanRadio.mp3 - read all
about it: http://www.indiecan.com/radio.htm

This week on IndieCan Radio, we share with you a chat we had with CMW
president, Neill Dixon on the Saturday night right after the Indie Awards
had wrapped up.   Also on this week’s show, Vanderpark is live at IndieCan
from Ruminal Records/Cosmic Audio in Mississauga.  We’ve been following
this band’s career for a couple of years now and they have some new music
to share with us all.  Other CMW showcase acts on Episode 125 include a
band I just met from Saskatchewan - We Were Lovers, Hey Rosetta! and
Midway State - both at the Juno’s. The Latency, from Vancouver who won
this year’s Radio Star award, Amos The Transparent were an Ottawa band
that many IndieCan faithful were hyped on, Jet Lag Gemini of New Jersey
and a local band that caught my eye, Make Your Exit round out the show.

Here are the numbers on Canadian Music Week this year – despite an economy
of contraction, record breaking numbers attended CMW:  1,700 Delegates and
3,000 musicians attended;  600 bands performed in 51 venues - many of
which had to turn people away as they were at capacity;  21 countries were
in attendance over the 5 days.

“There are a lot of big events in North America,” says Neill Dixon.  “But
this is one you can’t afford to skip if you are serious about music in
Canada.”  Well, I know lots of artists and industry that did take a pass
this year.  A tempting option when you’re someone who’s been to over 10 of
these.  But this year I had to tell those who opted out, “You missed a
lot.”

Bryan Dunn was at SXSW and he tells me he has a stack of CDs.  When I get
back from Vancouver we’ll do a show together with music and stories of
Austin from a Canadian indie perspective.

I’ll be seeing Sam Roberts, Sarah McLaughlin, The Stills, Kathleen
Edwards, The Painted Birds, Adaline, Hey Ocean, Hawksley Workman, and even
Brian Adams and Nickleback (both of which I have poked fun at in my day),
The Juno Cup and who knows what else. You’ll know soon enough.

Next week on IndieCan Radio we invite Stephen Fearing into the studio to
talk about his solo work, Blackie and the Rodeo Kings and his new life in
Halifax.  You can get a sneak preview @
http://www.myspace.com/indiecanmusic

Enjoy this week’s show.  Feel free to keep an eye on IndieCan.com for
ongoing commentary and as always, we appreciate and depend on your
feedback and input.  We’re all in this together.

Joe Chisholm
Host
IndieCan Radio
http://www.indiecan.com