Indie Week on IndieCan Radio!!!

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Fri Oct 30 00:41:14 CDT 2009

Indie Week just finished it's 6th edition and now that it takes more than
one had to say I'm "this many!" it's worth taking stock.  Dave Borins who
competed in the final Saturday October 10th, made a good point, "I was in
Indie Week 3 and there were 50 bands and now it seems like there's three
times as many - they have to be doing something right.  Our band had a
blast playing and the depth of talent was just fun to be part of."

The format of Indie Week is Wednesday through Friday every venue of bands
are playing to the audience and a panel of judges that pick a winner from
that showcase.  Over three days that's over 20 winners that all play off
on the Saturday night on the Holy Joe's stage and two stages in the
retro-fitted Reverb - both at Queen and Bathurst in Toronto.

Team IndieCan seems to have no consensus over who was "best" and the
audience is always left divided and sometimes frustrated.  But the point
is that everyone seems to care - everyone has a vested interest and grows
attached to their "favorite."  The process gives the bands something to
shoot for and the audience an easy way to break the ice and chat amongst
themselves with "Who did you like?" or "Who are you here to see?"

The bands have their reservations about the whole idea of competitive art
but they bring the right attitude to work: If they can meet some other
bands that they would love to play with and make some new contacts in
towns they have never been to, then they leave Indie Week a winner.  The
talent is varied and every showcase is so deep in first rate music that
the outcome is more of a lottery than a talent contest.  There is no
scientific way to put punk or pop up against country, folk, metal, rap and
rock to pin-point one superior product.

Everyone has an opinion, and if they have a strong opinion, then Darryl
Hurs, founder and coordinator has a job for them next year.  "If you got a
good idea, let's do it," he says.

It will take over two weeks of one-hour shows to break it down for you on
IndieCan Radio and we will do our best.  We didn't see it all and we don't
rate it all - we are simply giving you a cross-section of style, genre and
as far as our interviews go, insights.

Bob "THE ICE MAN" Segarini has been a major label artist.  He's been a
trusted voice on major market FM and Satellite Radio.  Bob talks to us
about the great state of music in Toronto in 2009.  "It's as good a scene
as I have ever seen."

Musically, we hear PURRR, Amy Campbell, United Steel Workers of Montreal,
Darings of Chelsea, Dave Borins, Diane Catherine and The Rusty Tweeters,
Static in the Stars, Sule, The Ins and Outs and more.

Read All About it:  http://www.indiecan.com/radio.htm#episode153

Hear it NoW:  http://www.indiecan.com/153IndieCanRadio.mp3

More PICS from start to finish:  http://www.indiecan.com/photos.htm

Have a great weekend,