IndieCan features National winner + October in review

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Thu Nov 1 00:00:44 CDT 2007

What a month we had at IndieCan.  You folks have been talking again
and once again, October was a record month for people listening to
IndieCan Radio.  We are humbled and honoured to continue to earn your
loyalty.  We know what a busy wwWeb you live in.

This week we look at The COCA (Canadian Organization of Campus
Activities) Conference in Windsor this week.  Canadian Radio Star
winners - Drowning Girl are Live at IndieCan on Episode 61 chatting
with Andre and Joe and laying down their winning music and some new
stuff.  Other IndieCan friends that will be in Windsor include
Mandippal, St. Avila Cartel, Tin Bangs, Inoke Erroti and Hello
Beautiful for instance.  We know a lot of other great artists in
?Border-Town? and we look forward to making new friends too.

Also this week Jeff Butler of IndieTV.ca is our guest and he gives us
the low-down on The Western Canadian Music Awards.  Wait until you
hear about IndieTV.ca ? soon we?ll have 7/24 TV for Canadian unsigned
artsts.  Episode 61 has these details.

Douglas and Joe had an Eric?s Trip and more at Halifax POP Explosion.
Doug is busy now editing pictures, audio and video ? yes VIDEO.  We
have some coverage up already so come read and as always, have your
say.

JOE?s RANT:
CBC Radio 3 was there too.  Check out what public funding budget can
do.  Go to their myspace, look at their video and tell me what you
think.  I liked the coverage but there was one small thing that bugged
my ass.  The video saves the biggest cheer for them selves ? ?Has
anyone here, listened to CBC Radio 3? and then they cue the audience
to cheer.  I?ve seen this self-congratulatory behaviour at Hillside
Music Festival and NXNE and here?s why I have a small problem with
it.  Yes it is CBC?s role to promote and expose Canadian emerging
talent and they do it bigger than anyone I know about.  I listen to
more CBC than all commercial radio combined.  CBC makes up about 20%
of my total internet listening, too, so I like them.  Never the less,
I don?t think they have earned the title of ?saviours of Canadiana?
just yet.

When each member of the 100th best selling band in Canada is making
CBC producer income + pension and benefit consideration, then you can
pat yourself on the back for the role you played.  Until then, keep
your head down, do your job and make the fans and the artist the
celebrities ? not yourselves.

Just one man?s opinion here, and let the ?the opinions expressed in
this commentary doesn?t necessarily reflect the opinions and feeling
of the other artist and fans that are IndieCan Music?? disclaimer
roll.  IndieCan looks forward to your opinion.

I had a stack of CDs I couldn?t fit on this weeks show and I am sorry
I can?t play more.  We have Joshua Bartholomew and Ember Swift still
on deck for ?live at IndieCan? segments.  We have Pamela Underwater
and Don Brownrigg who we recorded in Halifax, Void?s Anatomy from
Quebec City and interviews still to share from Indie Week and HPX.  It
isn?t too early to be thinking about 7/24 radio to fit all this stuff
in.
Anyway, go get Episode 61 and enjoy this week on IndieCan Radio.
Thanks for supporting Indie artists.

Warm regards,

Joe Chisholm
co-host