IndieCan goes Public - Get Wrecked with us!

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Sun Aug 24 23:56:12 CDT 2008

IndieCan This Week.

Listen Now:
http://www.indiecan.com/97IndieCanRadio.mp3
Episode 97 features Public live at IndieCan for the first time, from
Ruminal Records Sound in Mississauga. Also this week, new Shannon Lee
Briggs, and The Stills, Tamara Miller, The Sourkeys, Chronicles, Dave
Arcari, St.Alvia Cartel, Julian Fauth and Ottawa's Monkey Junk talk shop
with Jenn Martin.

Do you know Pubic yet?  If they are new to you, what do you think?  Are
they Toronto’s next big-thing?  I first saw them play over a year ago and
I thought “hey, here’ s something with promise.  At NXNE they came on at
the Riv right after Vancouver’s Said The Whale and they looked to me like
they had grown a lot.  I think songs like their “Walk Away” have The
Killers or Franz Ferdinand hit-song characteristics, but this North By
they looked like they owned the stage and belong in the lime-light.  We
interviewed a couple of the band mates back then and I have been wanting
to bring them to Planet-IndieCan ever since.  Tamera Miller and
Kitchener/Waterloo’s The Sourkeys have been waiting for ever to get on the
show – it just goes that way sometimes.  St. AC (St. Alivia Cartel – it’s
an acronym I hope takes off to save me some typing) and IndieCan have been
crossing paths for almost 12 months now.  We saw them perform for the
first time at the Film Festival @ the Canadian Music Café, then we saw
them again in Halifax at Pop Explosion, Windsor at COCAs Border City Rocks
conference and as part of the Warped Tour line up this summer.  Jenn
Martin  is in Ottawa talking with Monkey Junk.  What’s with Ottawa band
names – they have some “special” ones.  I hear Donkey Punch is changing
their name.  Something about wanting to play Colleges but Women’s Studies
major seem to be the Student Council gatekeepers these days.

Read All About It (See it too):

MQM Music Fest 2008 -  I know you missed it so we bring it to you in words
and images.  I know you missed it because if you were there, it would have
been really easy to see you.  That’s an inside joke for those of us who
were having a good time at The Phoenix last Sunday.  Full details @ at
http://www.indiecan.com/events.htm

IndieCan cares about artists who care. Read all about Global Rhythms at
http://www.indiecan.com/reviews.htm

August 25th is my birthday, something I likely share with one in every 365
of my every growing group of friends.  As practical as us Virgos can be,
it always busted my ass that every year, for my birthday, my parents would
get me back to school cloths.  Gee thanks, just what you had to get me
anyway, you shouldn't’t have.  None of us want to be reminded today that
summer is almost toast.  After years of back-to-school-birthdays you don’t
have to tell me.  But it’s the truth, so let’s make the best of it.
Labour Day is coming up, and for our USA friends, who kicked our ass in
the Olympics, ‘Labor Day’ (yes, it’s true USA, Canada does goes to the
Olympics, check and see who finished fourth in each race – there we are)
but any-freaking-way, I was talking about the approaching long weekend.
Have an IndieCan weekend.  While your downloading # 97 this week, grab a
few more from the archives and burn discs or put them on your Mp3 Player.
I hear we are more fun in bumper-to-bumper traffic than incessant traffic
reports and advertisements about “back to school.”  We also go down good
dock-side too, shared with your friends.

Also, starting in September IndieCan is back-to-school – night school,
Wednesday nights.  Posters and details are coming soon but mark your dance
card now for September 10 – our kick of for an every week – Get Wrecked
Wednesdays with Indiecan at the Annex Wreck Room  - cheap beer, free
admission, and a place for our community to call home once a week in the
big cold city.  If you are from outside T.Dot, one more reason to come see
us – I expect this night will forever re-shape Toronto tourism.  If you
live in Toronto, Wednesdays at The Wreck Room will now be the place where
A) There will always be great music, B) Industry will hang out and
schmooze and C) The local community of artists, students and us
hard-working stiffs can chill, create some culture and have a place that’s
our own for the very first time.

Our first IndieCan Wednesday at The Annex Wreck Room on September 10 will
celebrate our 100th Episode of IndieCan Radio, which will air early
September.  So, for those of you within driving distance, please get the
word out, this is about all of us -  let’s party.

Also recently added to  http://www.indiecan.com
Episode 96 has some Toronto International Beaches Jazz Festival interviews
and some live at IndieCan – Montreal style, so if you haven’t had a
chance, yet, check it out yet, go for it.  Hillside, Warped Tour, Toronto
Independent Music Awards and Ottawa Blues fest are all covered if you’ve
been away or missed anything.

On deck:  Justin Rutledge, live at IndieCan.

Have a great week.  Thanks for spending some time with us.

Joe Chisholm
Host
IndieCan Radio
http://www.indiecan.com