POP Montreal, Polaris and Episode 102

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Sun Oct 5 23:02:19 CDT 2008

POP Montreal was an eye-opener; Live music is back - big time with crowds
– “beaucoup” starting with the  over capacity Jupiter Room for Dave Martel
Thursday, invite only for The Dears at the Masonic Temple,  Quai Des
Brumes sardine can-crowd for the WeeWerk showcase (United Steel Workers of
Montreal, Canteen Knockout, Ladies of the Canyon, Don Brownrigg and The
Unsettlers) or the around-the-block line of hopefuls outside Café Campus
to see Mother Mother and Black Diamond Bay.

It seems that everywhere I went, it was an up-stream swim through
festivalgoers to get to the front of the stage for good pictures and
video.  It is great to see artists playing to overflowing clubs again.  It
seems that at every venue we popped into all up and down Montreal’s “The
Main,” drinks were flowing, fans were dancing and bands were rocking.

On the conference side, Montreal is so much more low-key than Toronto
festivals – I took in discussions on
·	“The Current State of Music Journalism,”
·	“Songwriting” with SAC Executive Director, Don Quarles and indies
ranging from 20-something to 50-something songwriters
·	“Touring and Festival Planning.”

Here are some point-form thoughts from the POP Montreal Symposium:

“10,000 artists apply for SXSW.  1,800 are selected.”  Matt Sonzala, SXSW,
USA.
“When choosing bands for showcases, I go to their Myspace and look for
Youtube video of the band performing.  If they don’t have live performance
video, I assume they have something to hide.”

“The State of Music Writing” says writer Michael Oliveira, “has never been
better for music fans, and never been worse for writers.”

More to follow

EPISODE 102 is up and we are broadcasting some hot and tasty indie
including back stage at Polaris Music Prize Gala and our introduction of
Ottawa native, Rory Gardiner.  So, here’s the whole scoop.  Back stage, at
Polaris we talk to Plants and Animals + founder, Steve Jordan.  We bring
you the music of Kathleen Edwards, Plants and Animals and winner, Caribou.
 Live at IndieCan -  Rory Gardiner, just back from recording in Nashville
+ Loud Love who will be “live at IndieCan” next week.  MicLordz & Sauce
Funky is a band I have been waiting to bring to you since the COCA
conference in Windsor in November 2007 (Hey, I’ve been busy) and we tease
with a couple of the upcoming INDIECAN WEDNESDAY artists, Black Diamond
Bay and Andrew Hunter & The Gatherers.

Hear it Now:  http: //www.indiecan.com/102IndieCanRadio.mp3

Read all about it: http: //www.indiecan.com/radio.htm#episode102

See IndieCan Wednesday pictures from the Annex WreckRoom:  http:
//www.indiecan.com/photos.htm

Life is busy – thanks for spending some time with us.  IndieCan remains
fan and artist owned and operated.

Warm regards,

Joe Chisholm
Host