Halifax POP Explosion and Indie Week 2008!

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Wed Oct 29 18:16:48 CDT 2008

Hello music fans,

This week’s radio show is 100% devoted to IndieWeek 2008 in Toronto.  We
touched on it last show with an interview with Leo Tintinalli and music
from Murder City Sparrows.  This week it’s my great pleasure to share my
interview with Marky Ray, “Rock ‘n’ Roll Mercenary.”  Over 30 years, Marky
has played with Stadium headliners, numerous indie bands, his own
one-man-show, Iguanadonho and he teaches music and recording and he was in
Toronto to perform and to share his knowledge and music passion with
delegates and artists at IndieWeek.

Darryl Hurs founded IndieWeek and this was the fifth edition which enjoyed
good attendance and great talent from Canada the USA and overseas.  On
this weeks show we hear from Vesta Varro and Walter Mitty and The Realists
– part of the Irish contingent performing here, Isle of Thieves, Peter
Katz and the Curious, Bella Clava, Hello Bella and Hello Beautiful, The
Dunes and Ontario Independent Music Awards Punk Band of the year, Fidget.
There is more to come on a show soon – fitting a week into an hour has
it’s challenges.

Listen Now:  http://www.indiecan.com105IndieCan.com
Read about it:  http://www.indiecan.com/radio.htm
Read IndieCan commentary with new photos added:
http://www.indiecan.com/events.htm

I just got back from Halifax POP Explosion, marking the third music
festival this month.  I don’t mind telling you that I am starting to feel
it.  However, part of me feels bad for not making it out to the Western
Canadian Music Awards on the one free weekend I did have.  Sorry Edmonton
– hope you had a blast.  Check periodically for new content at
http://www.indiecan.com

I am getting ready for IndieCan Wednesday at The Annex Wreckroom which has
a stellar lineup tonight.  The night opens with Houston Tx’s The Western
Civilaization who were big hits at HPX, Andrew Hunter and the Gatherers
are from Halifax, then it’s TIMA 2008 award winners, Japhy, then the night
closes with Montreal’s Final Flash.

IndieCan has swag and we’ll be making it available tonight.  We have
T-shirts and buttons and nothing says, “I support Canadian emerging music”
like IndieCan sway.

Also, this week we will have some left over Indie Bible’s for sale and The
Indie Venue Bible at HPX show special prices.  If you are an artist
without this resource or you love an artist, it’s a good buy.  So, as
always, if you live in Toronto or are visiting Toronto come by for a drink
at Annex Wreckroom (Bathurst at Bloor).  Doors are 9 PM and we start sharp
at 9:15 and try to get the college students out and in bed at a reasonable
time because it’s a school night.

Later this week, I know Fidget is doing a Halloween party, Anthony Gomes
is back in town with his new band/brand “New Soul Cowboys” – he’ll be
bringing guitar driven southern rock to the Silver Dollar on Saturday the
1st, starting at 8 PM.  Later that night at The Legendary Horseshoe
“Chinese Food” has their record release.

Next week will be an all Halifax show with Amelia Curren live at IndieCan
and Halifax POP Explosion Executive Director, Waye Mason and some of the
great artists we saw there – some new finds and some old friends.

That’s it from me until next week.  Thank for helping support Canadian
Independent music.

Cheers,

Joe Chisholm
Host