POP Goes Canada - Halifax, Montreal, T.Dot and more

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Thu Oct 23 13:20:08 CDT 2008

Hello from Halifax POP Explosion,

It’s already been two great days of Halifax people and Halifax music.  The
week hasn’t been without it’s glitches, but they won’t be remembered – the
great music will.  A new venue, the Coconut Grove, which all the locals
bemoan the loss of the venue under the previous name, Stage 9 is an XM
Satellite Radio Room – it looks like it wants to be a dance club but for
HPX  at least, it’s retrofitted with a stage for live indie.  The sound is
good and the bands sound good - those who make it anyway – in two days it
has been cursed with the cancellation bug.  The first night I call “NO
SAID, NO FRED.”  Said The Whale is a great band from Vancouver that didn’t
make it. I was looking forward to catching up with them again.  Fred is
from Ireland – part of the IndieWeek Toronto, IndieWeek Ireland exchange
program.  They were on the bill as well.  Both bands were no-shows which
made it hard to coordinate plans and keep a buzz going in the room.  If
anyone knows the story on Said or Fred I would like to know.  Day two at
The Coconut only had three of the bands showing up.

Gus’s Pub and The Marquee has attracted most of our other attention so
far.  We will be airing our first band from Medicine Hat soon, thanks to a
smokin’ set in Hell’s Kitchen, one of the retards – Jay Retard punked up
the place, Love Machine from Ottawa popped up the place, Modern Boys (left
their) Modern Girls (home) from Toronto played as a threesome  and still
had a rich full sound that had fans dancing, Emm Gryner who played the
Way-Cool Molson Music Room and a new find from Montreal, The Golden Hands
before God, who you will be hearing more from soon are some of the 20+
bands we’ve taken in so far.  Pic’s commentary and radio will be coming
soon.

If yuu’re feeling nostalgic here’s a radio show that includes a “live at
IndeCan”  here in Halifax with Don Brownrigg and Kris Pope that Doug and
Joe did here in the house we are staying in again.  There are also some
links at http://www.indiecan.com/events.htm to HPX 2007 if you want to
enjoy pics, and commentary from last years event.

http://www.indiecan.com/IndieCanRadioEpisode66.mp3

Here’s another one with Waye Mason, executive director HPX and some other
great east coast bands:

http://indiecan.com/toronto_indie_scene62.mp3

OK, enough living in the past but I assure you there’s some good stuff
there that isn’t stale-dated at all.  Now for this week – Episode 104
which IndieCan insiders have been listening to over and over.

MAGIC in show 104
The Songs and Music of Mike Yates and the Candidates from Ottawa, seeing
as we are between elections in North America, are “live at IndieCan.”
Chinese Food - who have a CD release party at Toronto's Horseshoe Tavern
November 1, give IndieCan listeners a sneak preview (maybe we’ll see you
at the Shoe next Friday) The Populars - love these guys, give us another
tasty treat from “A Pill for Everyone.”  We interview - The Waxbills of
Niaga Falls from IndieCan Wednesdays plus Ryan from Mother Mother shares
music and thoughts about the new record O My Heart (by the way Touch Up is
now available on Vinyl).   Grand Theft Bus - who I mistakenly call "Grand
Theft Truck" on the show get us in an east-coast frame of mind, as a
precursor to next week’s ALL INDIEWEEK show we hear from,  Murder City
Sparrows and Leo Tintinalli who talked to artists about 360 marketing for
Do It Yourself bands and we close with Alex Tintinalli

Hear it Now:
http://www.indiecan.com/104IndieCanRadio.mp3

Read all about it, or catch up on POP Montreal coverage, IndieWeek 2008
coverage or the latest from IndieCan Wednesdays – live at The Annex
Wreckroom:
http://www.indiecan.com

Love and Hugs from team IndieCan

If you haven’t already, join our community -
http://www.myspace.com/indiecanmusic

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24421965144