SXSW, Elvis Costello, You know we Juno the IndieCan way!

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Mon Apr 13 06:05:22 CDT 2009

Hello music lovers!

I came back from The Junos in Vancouver with some new insights into music
and the challenging relationship she shares with television.

We just posted some new material at http://www.indiecan.com/reviews.htm re
JUNO week.  IndieCan was present for a magic night at the Commodore
Ballroom where 54-40 sold out the joint and invited a number of old and
new friends to come out and play a song or two.  Indies, Jets Overhead and
Neil Osborne’s daughters band The Blue Violets shared the stage.  The
Grapes of Wrath came out of retirement for the night.  Sam Roberts, Jim
Cuddy, Alan Doyle and George Canyon all came out to play with the band
too.  IndieCan has become quite the community.  Friends of IndieCan were
quick to offer video and pictures to document the evening and we now have
IndieCan’s 54 pics + several from friends and a vignette of video clips we
gathered that’s now posted with other Juno video at
http://www.youtube.com/user/IndieCanJoe

THIS WEEK on INDIECAN Radio:
Episode 127 features Stephen Fearing live at IndieCan.  Stephen was at the
Junos with his producer hat on.  This week he talks about wearing his
Blackie & The Rodeo Kings hat, his solo hat and his new tour with
Catherine MacLellan.  Other artists this week include The Stills, Dearly
Beloved, Kathleen Edwards, My Sister Ocean, Ultimate Power Duo, Andrew
Hunter, Jeffrey Staker and Acres of Lions.

http://www.indiecan.com/127IndieCanRadio.mp3  - listen right now

http://www.indiecan.com/radio.htm#episode127 - read all about it

More JUNOs:
Elvis Costello and wife Diana Krawl were at the Junos.  CTV used the Junos
as an infomercial for a number of their current show + the upcoming
Spectacle: Elvis Costello with
 which has now had some success with it’s
first two shows.  I may be talking to their producer sometime soon, but
let me share with you something Mr. Costello had to say about the show,
interviews and pop songs:

"I genuinely think -- and I don't say this in any smart way -- that most
pop music is created while trying to imitate something that you love, and
failing.

"You usually start out trying to sound like somebody else, and not quite
making it. And then, almost serendipitously and without your realizing it,
a voice pops out that seems to work. And then you have to develop it. At
least, that's kind of the way it's been with me. "My voice has obviously
changed. I've tried new things along the way. It's an ongoing thing, a
work in progress."

Costello has been on the receiving end of enough touch-and-go interviews
that he thinks he's knows something about the process. "It's better to be
yourself," he explained. "From where I'm sitting, as a musician being
asked questions, it's usually when somebody asks you to repeat something
that you've already publicized endlessly, that it seems redundant and
shows a lack of imagination."

"The person being asked the questions has to play along, too," Costello
added. "I've had some interview experiences that were really quite
enjoyable. The person asking the questions came with an open mind. They
didn't come with a lot of theories in tow."

The musicians Costello admires are easy enough to guess. He doesn't suffer
fools gladly. His guest list for Spectacle tells you all you need to know,
in that regard.  Spectacle debuted April 3 with Elvis Costello holding
court with Elton John.  On the 10th it was The Police.  Up next week
includes Kris Kristopherson and John Cougar Mellencamp.

Thanks for supporting Canadian independent music.  Later this week on
IndieCan Radio, we look at SXSW with IndieCan correspondent Bryen Dunn,
reporting from Austin + Julie Doiron, just back from SXSW and on tour with
her new full-length CD.

Warm regards,

Joe Chisholm
host