As the world turns - at IndieCan Radio

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Sat Aug 29 13:30:52 CDT 2009

Make up my mind would you! Is it that the more things change, the more
they stay the same?  Is it that the only thing constant in life is change?
 We have so many expressions in life (and I love to hang my hat on a
cliche as much as the next) that we say like they are great truth but
there's always another expression we accept as fact that proves, or argues
the opposite; likes attract - that's so true, opposites attract - that's
so true too.

XM Satellite Radio Canada is changing - out with the old, in with the new.
 But strangely they are electing "out with the new" in the form of the
swanky Davenport and Avenue Rd street-front studio that spawned and
captured so much Canadian culture from Hey Ocean to Anne Murray.  Some of
you are saying, "Who's Hey Ocean," and some are saying "Who's Anne
Murray?"  I don't know if I will answer either question with "It's good to
be old enough and it's good to be young at heart."  Like I said, many
great moments where captured there as part of Channel 87 THE VERGE, which
was once Channel 52 THE VERGE and before that, Channel 52... Shit, I don't
remember.  I guess when you have a corporation like XM things will always
be wasted and money will always be spent.  Change isn't always the net
result of creativity.  Sometimes it's just one dick-swinger spaying his
tag over the last dick-swinger.

But I don't know XM the Corporation.  I only know XM the people and the
people welcomed IndieCan into their home and let us do our thing for some
of our shows in said-swanky digs.  And they share our brand of rogue radio
with their valued listeners.  I get the impression they do it because they
feel that it's the right thing to do.  The humans aren't the corporation,
the corporation isn't the humans.  With all respect to Noam Chomsky's
sociopathic analogy of corporate policy making (which is an important
pause for thought),  I never met "the corporation" or any corporation.  I
meet people who work there.  And the people who work there are just as
likely to do the right thing just like they do, more often than not in
their personal life.

Corporations aren't the enemy.  Personal apathy is.  People control
companies, not the other way around.  One good boycott can bring a company
to it's knees.  We have to pick our fights, otherwise we complain about
everything and do nothing about anything.  But when we stand to be
counted, much can be accomplished by seeing it through.  OMG, honestly,
when I started typing I was going to tell you about IndieCan Radio's theme
over the next couple of weeks, I wasn't going to pontificate about
politics. I am writing some new songs of my own this month and I will
blame a muse for redirecting my fingers on the key pads.

Let's spill it out:  When I heard that the XM studio was defunct, I was
sad.  I got mad and ranted that it smelled like the work of a frustrated
bean counter who say waste in a time that demands fiscal responsibility.
So, kill the music, it won't put up a fight.  I really believe that
important moments happened in that glass shoebox of a room.  Mostly I am
grateful to be a involved in a fraction of it.  Episode 145 and 146 will
celebrate some of those great moments.  We go through our archive and
bring you some of the IndieCan Radio sessions from Davenport and Avenue
Road.  We have some 'never before heard' out-takes as well as fan
favourite moments. We won't get lost in nostalgia so you'll hear some new
stuff too.  But it is only fair to pay tribute to moments like Moe Berg
jamming with The Populars and Tom Hooper sitting in with 54-40 and
Sunshine State and Angie Nussy being exposed to the world.

Come see us at IndieCan.com this week and enjoy some of this.  Listen
twice if it moves you - no extra cost.  It's on XM this week.  It's on XM
and found at IndieCan.com for ever :-)

http://www.indiecan.com/145IndieCanRadio.mp3 for the podcast

http://www.indiecan.com/radio.htm#episode145 to read all about it.

We have Caribana coverage on our review page and plenty of new content
coming soon.  By the way, I am having trouble uploading to YouTube and I
don't know why - as far as I know, I am not doing anything different.  So
if any one can help me with this "UNKNOWN ERROR" message I get, I will
surely have some new content to see and hear.  Contact me at
info at indiecan.com or call me at 416-239-8737

Have a great weekend - have a great week.

All the best,

Joe Chisholm
host
IndieCan Radio