3 decades of NOW Magazine and this day in history...

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Fri Nov 27 11:37:27 CST 2009

On this day in 1976, Saturday Night Live was hosted by Jodie Foster, Brian
Wilson was the musical guest and John Belushi and the Blues Brothers
performed “I am a King Bee, Baby” for the first time.

A lot of other significant must have happened November 27th, 1976, but for
the purpose of this blog, let’s use this event.  Who knew?  Who ever knows
at the time how significant the events around them are?  Last night I was
at The BIG SCMOOZE.  Tsufit, musician and author of the award winning book
“Step Into The Spotlight” was speaking as was publicist/promoter Richard
Flohil and Dulce Barbosa, db Promotions & Publicity.  Richard for instance
was helping put on a little event at the Rock Pile (Masonic Temple) a few
years back featuring some new band from the UK called, Led Zeppelin.  Did
anyone know what they were witness too back then.  Google Nash The Slash,
who took some pictures and captured some commentary from that epic event.

Today I look at this week’s IndieCan Radio show and I wonder and hope if
you and I are part of witnessing the birth of something big in some of the
new artists we are featuring this week.  It’s so important to soak in life
as it happens.  We don’t know what day will be the day that we say over
and over in life, “I head it first at X?”  Maybe you’ll say, “I heard it
first on IndieCan Radio.”

Michael Hollett co-founded NOW Magazine in 1981 and now, NOW may be the
largest indie weekly news paper in North America.  He has a lot to say,
and he says it to us on Episode 157.  He’ll talk about what he sees as the
future for print media, how he maintains his integrity and what he thinks
of the music scene today and how it’s changed since he started covering
three decades ago (
 or has it changed?).

Today Michael is in Calgary taking in the music and Grey Cup hoopla as he
prepares to dawn the watermelon helmet and cheer, “Go Riders Go.”
Montreal – don’t take offense.  It’s not the team that won him over – it’s
the Saskatchewan Rough Rider fans.  Who would disagree that they are the
best sports fans we know of?

Musically on Episode 157, we share with you the creative styling of:

Winter Gloves, Papa Sean Johhson, Loud Love, Hannah Speirs, The Restless
Age, Ox, Pawnshop Diamon, the Johnstones, Acres and Acres and Blue Rodeo.

Blue Rodeo will be playing Half Time at the Grey Cup Sunday.  We can link
you to Now Mag’s online site where you can see them debut new music live
on a Toronto roof-top, shot by Michael Hollett.

http://www.indiecan.com/radio.htm

http://www.indiecan.com/157IndieCanRadio.mp3

Happy November 27th 2009.  Maybe today something epic is happening
.

Team IndieCan
www.indiecan.com
info at indiecan.com
SATURDAY: The Cunninghams new CD at Toronto's the Elmo!