Learning new tricks from seasoned Indie Dawgs

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Fri Apr 9 23:53:10 CDT 2010

Ember Swift has a lot to say about the care and humility Canadian artists
need to take if they want to make an impact in the Chinese music market.
She lives there, she lives here.

Did you know that we Canadians are tap running water mongers?  In many
parts of China, water run to brush teeth or wash our face isn't run down
the drain.  It's collected and used again to water plants, flush the
toilet or wash the floor.  Water is conserved in some parts of the world
in sensible ways that don't make sense to Great Lake neighbours like us
North Americans.

Grady's new CD, "Good as Dead" is more that the oxymoron of the title
(what's good about being dead?) - it's darker, funnier and Grady-er than
before.  Whatchewdid and Good as Dead are hard hitting but not to serious.
On the other hand, Gordie Johnson reveals the story behind a song he wrote
about a friend who he watched drink himself to death.  You can sample it
from the web site, you can listen to IndieCan Radio.

Gordie Johnson and I talked for an hour about music production about the
balance of a BIG SUGAR show or shows + keeping the focus on Grady's tour
and third CD.  We talked about what is different in the musical cultures
of Austin Texas (a music town, not a music industry town) compared to
Nashville and Toronto.

These are two Interviews coming up on IndieCan Radio soon. So now's a good
time to introduce IndieCan.com to our new friends who aren't on the drip
yet.  We don't seek world domination - we just hate to think someone is
being deprived of Guerrilla Culture celebration when they don't need to
be.  Todd Arkell of Cool Planet Entertainment is a SXSW virgin no more.
He had sex with strangers in Austin Texas.  He'll explain that to us in a
way his wife will understand completely.

But before that, we have some catching up to do.  Here's what you'll get
from the last two weeks of IndieCan Radio.

Episode 174.

>From the HE SAID:  Make Your Exit, The Mission District, Wintersleep(new,
new, new), Mardeen and Dean Lickyer( sample of their live-at-IndieCan
session)

>From SHE SAID: Ladies of the Canyon, Miss Mercury, Karen Fowlie, Amanda
Zelina, Rose Cousins, and Hannah Georgas.

Also Jenn Martin with Slowcoaster and from Calgary, The Lions.

You haven't heard of all those bands?  Isn't IndieCan cool?  You may be
talking about a new favorite artist soon.

Listen now: http://www.indiecan.com/174IndieCanRadio.m3u

Read all about it:  http://www.indiecan.com/podcast.htm#Episode174

HOT OFF THE PRESS - # 175

Kiss's Gene Simmons' pick of the corp - Dean Lickyer is live at IndieCan +
new Peter Katz, Shane Whitebird, The Pack A.D., English Words, Eugene
Ripper and our farewell to the ECMAs (at least until next week), Jenn
Martin brings us more Joel Plaskett, Tim Chaisson, Air Traffic Control and
John Campbelljohn.

http://www.indiecan.com/175IndieCanRadio.m3u

http://www.indiecan.com/podcast.htm#episode175

Y'all haven't seen IndieCan's new East-coast video artists, Ian Sherwood's
work, so click here for three ECMA tours:
http://www.youtube.com/IndieCanJoe

CMW pic picks, from the Indie Awards to the conference to the clubs:

http://www.indiecan.com/photos.htm#CMW2010pic

ECMA pics..  http://www.indiecan.com/events.htm

IndieCan Radio has a slightly new feel... Let us know what you think:
info at indiecan.com

Are you on Facebook?

Did you know you can share IndieCan Radio from your profile page by
clicking share on our posts:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24421965144

Now that should keep you busy.  Keep us up to date on your world:

http://www.myspace.com/indiecanmusic

info at indiecan.com

Love and Hugs,

Team IndieCan