the Pomp of Polaris + Episode 194

info at indiecan.com info at indiecan.com
Sun Sep 26 12:11:51 CDT 2010

This week on IndieCan Radio we have Polaris Prize performers Tegan and
Sara, who are starting to show an edgier side to their performance.  For a
list of all the artists this week and a free streaming or download of this
week’s show, check out http://www.indiecan.com/podcast.htm#episode194

Polaris Music Prize rewarded Quebec rockers, Karkwa with the $20,000 prize
this month and IndieCan salutes all the bands that made the short and 40
album long list that recognizes artistic merit alone with no consideration
of sales and marketing or pop sensibilities.  This prize continues to be a
double-edged blessing and insult to the Canadian underground music scene.
While the efforts to recognize artist merit are noble we have to consider
how insulting a $20,000 prize is.  We are recognizing artistic genius with
the Polaris Music Prize.  We applaud it with less than we would pay the
Much Music phone receptionist for her contribution to music this year.  We
pay our Canadian artistic nobility less than any of the wait-staff at the
Legendary Horseshoe Tavern for their contribution to music this year – or
any of the venues and staff that helps promote Canadian indie.

The cost of putting a band on the road for a year is ten times the prize
amount.  The year Patrick Watson won, the band had to spend $17,000 of
their $20,000 on the uninsured van they rented (and totaled) on their way
to the awards.  Small market radio stations like Ottawa’s Big Money Shot
are paying out $250,000 and more each year in local talent contests which
make Polaris look almost insulting.

Imagine the cache this brings to Much Music, CBC and all the other media
outlets that make news through the year on the backs of Polaris Music
nominees.  I have to believe that many businesses get more than $20,000 of
value from the Polaris artists each year, and 9 of the short-list bands
leave empty-handed.  The party-line is Polaris nomination is good for
artists – it gives exposure and increased revenue from record sales and
concert attendance.  That’s probably true, but how about some hard numbers
– the rebuttal lacks sincerity with the nebulous suggestion of wealth
created ‘for” the artists that wouldn’t be there without all the pomp and
ceremony.

Again, I don’t want to rag on efforts to promote emerging music – we’re
all in this together.  But discontent is health, discussion is merited and
expectations of forward momentum should be expected.  It’s been 5 years
with no inflation in the prize money.  I think a lifelong annuity of
$50,000 a year for the band so long as it stays together wouldn’t be a
windfall – it wouldn’t even be the end of day jobs, but it would raise the
economic potential of performing music at the Horseshoe Tavern to the same
level as bartending at the Horseshoe Tavern.

The idea of this annual music prize has to be respected.  But to rest now
and not build on the idea will make our paltry Polaris a laughing stock of
music prizes.  I suggest that everyone out there reading who has feelings
about Polaris – one way or another – should state your case.  Your voice
matters.  Like I said, we’re all in this together.

IndieCan Radio this week also celebrates The Free Press, The Golden Dogs,
Acres of Lions, Flash Lightning, The Wet Secrets, Julian Fauth, the Dunes,
Language Arts, Joey Keithley’s Band of Rebels, Caledonia and brand new
Katheryn Calder, Alyssa Reid, The Reason, and as mentioned above, Tegan
and Sara.

Hear it now:  http://www.indiecan.com/194IndieCanRadio.m3u
Read about it: http://www.indiecan.com/podcast.htm#episode194
See radio cue sheets:  http://www.indiecan.com/downloads.htm

Upcoming...POP Montreal, Indie Week Toronto

Feedback, info at indiecan.com
http://www.myspace.com/indiecanmusic
or find us on facebook