More fabulouls music from Vancouver

Joe Chisholm joechisholm at rogers.com
Sun Nov 12 19:51:24 CST 2006

Dear Musc Supporters,

Episode 21 is The Vancouver Indie Scene – the sequel.
LOTUS CHILD is our "live at IndieCan" feature act.
Also featured are Sweetheart, Hey Ocean, Painted
Birds, Ant Hill from Vancouver and The Dunes and The
Apollo Effect from Toronto.  From S.I. Feldman and
Associates, Josh McNorton is our guest with his unique
industry take on the Vancouver music scene.

This free hour is available at www.indiecan.com so
come and get it.  Under EVENTS you will find
commentary on the 11 bands in 10 days taken in while
in Vancouver.  More pictures and audio will follow so
please keep checking back from time to time.

Some of you might remember a couple of months ago that
we introduced listeners to LOTUS CHILD's song
"Archaeologists."  This week, as we wrap up our
Vancity trip, we give you the whole dirt on this
foursome – why Zack eats during every interview, why
only their bass player knows anything about the local
music scene, why there is an image of "Torontopia"
across the prairies and around the Great Lakes and
what the band thinks about music fans and radio
stations discovering them in obscure pockets of planet
earth.  Sadly, there is nothing on musical influences
or where the name "Lotus Child" came from.  Born of
the art-post-alt-folk-rock-ambient -acoustic-indie
scene that all of the pseudo- alternative
-hippie-yuppie-starbuckian conservative
non-conformists of Kitsilano are talking about, LOTUS
CHILD stands out as the only band available at Noon on
a Tuesday to come to the recording studio.  I jest (as
I tend to do) but IndieCan has been looking forward to
bringing this band to you for some time.  There is a
compelling hook to the CD "Gossip Diet" that I think
makes it an important part of any Western Canada indie
collection.

I had the good fortune of seeing SWEETHEART at the
Roxy as their CD, "Map of the Human Heart" was being
introduced to the world. ANT HILL is a band I learned
about it Toronto.  They won the Toronto Independent
Music Award for "Best Out-of-area Indie Act."   HEY
OCEAN is a band our Vancouver engineer Tom Dobrzanski
introduced me to.  He worked with them on this most
recent recording that we play for this episode.
PAINTED BIRDS is a band that our industry insider Josh
McNorton plays guitar for.  Not to be completely shut
out, Toronto is well represented by tunes from THE
DUNES and THE APOLLO EFFECT.

We think it's a great show and we hope you enjoy it.
As always, thank you for supporting Canadian emerging
artists.  Please feel free to contact us at
www.myspace.com/indiecanmusic or info at indiecan.com

Warm regards,

TEAM INDIECAN