IndieCan Milestone Milestone with Mother Mother and more

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Sat Aug 11 22:21:50 CDT 2007

   IndieCan Music reached the big 5 – 0 and what better way to
celebrate Episode 50 than to feature our first ever HILLSIDE INDIE
SCENE.  July 27 to 29 was the 24th anniversary celebration of music
and community, just out side of Guelph Ontario. Our coverage started
with some commentary and music from Blackie & The Rodeo Kings and The
Golden Dogs.  If you’ve been a regular visitor to www.indiecan.com[1]
you’ve seen the hundreds or pictures and reviews already posted.

   When IndieCan was first introduced to Vancouver’s Mother Mother at
NXNE (See Other Other Mother Mother at www.indiecna.com/events.htm[2])
we scrolled through their tour schedule and started scheming this show
when we saw they were Hillside bound.  My band The Chronicles had a
blast recording at the rural converted barn that is Escarpment Sound
Studios just minutes from Hillside and I thought the setting the would
be perfect for this show.  So the Friday eve of Hillside we recorded
and interviewed Mother Mother.  You’ll be tested as every other music
fan to date has been tested:  Just try filling in the blank:  Mother
Mother sounds like ____________.  Please let us know what you come up
with. You’ll see what I mean   Back to Hillside for a moment, what
should have been a drained Sunday night Hillside audience nearly blew
the roof of the Lake Side Stage tent with their praising ovation for
this Van-band that Sam our engineer has dubbed “Country-Punk.”

   While talking with Danielle Duval after her Hillside showcase, Ron
Sexsmith told her that her set was his favourite.  That’s got to count
for something.  We have some words and music from Danielle as well as
other Hillside hullabaloo.  Other artists featured are some acts we’d
love to see at a future Hillside, not that we think we have that kind
of pull.  Diverse in style and geography we have from Ontario, Eden
Ants, Rob Szabo, Stirling and The Jim Armstrong Band.  From Nova
Scotia, Down With The Butterfly and from Calgary, Once Just.

   Greg Simpson of Mind Benders Music knows a thing or two about
festivals.  He was at Wake Stock on Toronto Island while we were at
Hillside and because we couldn’t be there, we bring you an interview
we had back at NXNE.  Greg offers his insights on festivals and what
it takes to bring indie songs to commercial radio in this day and age.

   This Announcement might seem a wee-bit late for some of you.  I
just got back from the Vans Warp Tour in Barrie Ontario where it was
good to see IndieCan friends The Salads and Staylefish as well as get
to know Mrs. Jones of The Institute of Independent Music
(http://www.ifimusic.org[3]) which we’ll be talking about sometime
soon.  There were other musical escapades this week as well and photos
and commentary will follow shortly.

   When listening to this weeks show be mindful that IndieCan wouldn’t
be 50 episodes old if not for how the music making and music loving
communities have embraced our efforts.  IndieCan is all about love and
music and we feel honoured to be able to do our humble part as
stewards of emerging culture.  It’s only fitting that we devote this
show to the organizers and volunteers of Hillside who have been
devoted to music for over two decades.  For all you do, Hillsiders,
this show’s for you.

   Enjoy the show!

   Joe Chisholm
host