Kicks with Episode Sixty-six + Holiday thoughts

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Thu Dec 20 10:00:12 CST 2007

Get your kicks on Episode Sixty-Six

This week our toques go off to all of the East-Coast Music Awards
nominees.  Over the last several episodes we've featured many of
them.  This week we include Julie Doiron and Don Bronwrigg - our live
at IndieCan from our Halifax sessions.  How cool is it that you can
get all the dirt on Don and say you knew him before he was famous.

Also this week we have some hot off the press, Dearly Beloved.  I just
got the new CD Repo, Repo, Repo and I am going to share some with you.

Vancouver's the Painted Birds, Montreal's the Famous Lovers and Vesta
Varro of Ireland who were winners of this Falls Indie Week Toronto's
grand prize are also part of Show 66.  Darryl Hurs who's already
thinking about Indie Week 2008 chats with us about Indie Week and we
look forward to sharing that with you.  Other musical contributions
come from The Craft Economy and Ketch Harbour Wolves.

What ever your holiday routine, IndieCan wishes you the best.  Have
fun and be gentle with yourself ? we know how stressful all these
happy times can be for some ? if you need some time to yourself, we
have an hour (or 66) of great indie music that provide a much needed -
taking a trip without leaving the farm ? experience.  If you have some
driving to do in the next while, load up your MP3 player or burn a few
CDs of IndieCan shows.  We'd love to come with you for the drive.

Also, if you love an indie artist there are a few things on the
www.indiecan.com web site that might be just right ? books (or PDFs)
from indie music experts, the latest edition of THE INDIE BIBLE, the
DVD What Is Indie? is going out of circulation soon, so pick one up
while you can.

For those of you think out-side-the-box you might find these two bits
of food for thought to be seasonal.  The first is something I got from
artist and activist Sarah Burton.  IndieCan has committed to be part
of the WAM event in Saskatoon in August.  Here are a few thoughts from
Sarah:

   WAM (We Are Many festival) can now be given as a gift!!

Citizen Powered, a group that does all it can to get people thinking
and making positive changes, has taken us on as one of their
charities. You can now give the gift of WAM to anyone, just by
clicking a few buttons on the Citizen Powered website.

So, if you're having trouble looking for that perfect gift, and you
want to kill two birds with one stone (wait, I'll amend the metaphor
for these purposes -- if you want to grow two plants with one seed),
then you can make a donation on behalf of your giftee, therefore
giving your giftee the gift of giving, and also giving yourself, to a
very good cause (wow, that's a lot of give!!). Not only that, but you
get to take!! That's right, you get to take about half your money back
when you get that wonderful charitable receipt (so you can give twice
as much). Are you confused yet?

Just go to www.citizenpowered.ca[1] and click on We Are Many (it's on
the right side of the page).

In other WAM news, we have gotten a few grants under our belt, stirred
things up at Saskatoon city council, made the paper a few times, and
our team continues to grow and grow with more high-profile and
hard-working talent. To read all the details, please visit
www.wearemanyfestival.com[2] or join our facebook group (just search
for We Are Many, Saskatoon).

Take care and Happy Holidays!!

Sarah

   Secondly, here is a well articulated pot-shot at consumerism and an
isnight into how life has evolved over the last 50 years.  It's about
20 entertaining and informative minutes ? feel free to pass this on
with your holiday wishes if you like.

http://www.storyofstuff.com/index.html

What is the Story of Stuff?

 From its extraction through sale, use and disposal, all the stuff in our

lives affects communities at home and abroad, yet most of this is hidden

from view. The Story of Stuff is a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look

at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of

Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and

social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just

world. It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may

change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever.

It seems to fit with our slogan, "We're all in this together."

Thanks for supporting Canada's emerging music scene.

Peace and happiness,

Joe Chisholm and TEAM INDIECAN.
http://www.indiecan.com
info at indiecan.com