Episode 63 - cross-country and around the world in one hour

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Tue Nov 20 04:10:11 CST 2007

A NATIONAL VIEW, A WORLD VIEW

  It?s a good time for Rock ?n? Roll.  Many friends of IndieCan are
pitching their indie music tents for you to seek cultural shelter
under -  if you have the good fortune of being in Toronto this week.
Eden Ants (Episode 60) host another POP with Brains Friday November
23rd.  Tin Bangs are at the Bovine Sex Club on the 25th and
Chameleonize are there two days later.  If you can?t be in Toronto
this week we will miss you.  Where ever you live let?s get out and
support some indie artist this week, just because.

For all of you USA and international friends of ours, this weekend is
also Grey Cup Weekend in Toronto.  We are the host-city of the
Canadian Football Leagues grand finale.  Yes, Canada has football.
It?s for male athletes that can?t skate, but it is an entertaining
game indeed and our Grey Cup party on Sunday will have the Bare Naked
Ladies performing as part of the tail-gate party and Lenny Kravitz
indoors for half-time.

I guess I have Toronto on the mind and while I am milking that topic,
you should know that Canadian Music Week is March 5th to 8th this year
and it?s everyone?s good fortune that deadlines have been extended for
artist showcases and the 2008 Indie?s Awards.  Second chances don?t
come often, so if you haven?t applied, do it now and let us know how
it goes.  We hope to see you in T.Dot in March.

Speaking of the Indie?s Awards, by coincidence, Episode 63 concludes a
trilogy of Canadian Music Week winners.  We had Radio Star finalist,
Joshua Bartholomew last week, Canadian Radio Star winner Drowning Girl
two weeks ago.  This week it?s 2007 Indie Award winner Ember Swift
opening our show, live at IndieCan.  Ember won for best artist?s web
site, so check out the link we have at http://www.indiecan.com and
enjoy the look and feel of it.  It?s kind of a ?take the vegans
bowling, take them bowling? theme?very unusual.  Ember Swift?s 9th CD,
?Dirty Little Pulse? is one of those recordings that I don?t mind
going around and around in my car CD player and the 180,000km on my 5
year old car tell you I like to spend some time in my vehicle.  What?s
scary is how many other miles I have put in other cars and airplanes
in the last 5 years too.  Ember Swift compositions are something I
would tell my parents to listen to.  Her career is one I would tell
the newest, youngest emerging artist to learn as much as they can from.

Ember is presently in China, embarking on a musical journey that she
will talk about in this weeks show.  Is China important to the future
of music?  While many of you were reading Canadian Musician and
Rolling Stone Magazine, I have been reading Seymour Schulich?s new
book ?Get Smarter.?  Here are some facts about China for you to ponder
as you contemplate the future of music:

China already has more people that speak English than there are
English speaking people in the U.S.A.  They also have more people
using computers that there are people in the U.S.A.

300 Million people will move from the country to the city in the next
5 years, creating a city of Philadelphia size every month.

China has 240 Million people under the age of 14.  In the next 10
years these children will be significant consumers of live concerts
and recorded music.

If you?re thinking of translating a song of yours, think about Mandarin.

Also this week, we take you behind the scenes of COCA (Canadian
Organization of College Activities) as we visit Windsor for Border
City Rocks ? the regional COCA Conference November 1st to 3rd.  We?ll
speak to host Megan Carbone from the University of Windsor, and we?ll
hear from St. Catherine?s Casey Baker & the Buffalo Sinners and Tin
Bangs, who were performing there.  It?s a great hour of song writing
all around as we hear from The Sled Dogs from British Columbia?s
Okanogan Valley, Randall Spear from Quebec City, Their Majesty from
Halifax and from Prince Edward Island, Catherine McLellan.

Keep checking in this week as you will find more coverage of the Free
the Children Benefit show and other significant happenings this week.

I hope you enjoy the hour which is this week?s show.  It?s an honour
and a pleasure to bring it to you.

http://www.indiecan.com/radio.htm#episode63

Warm regards,

Joe Chisholm