Don't Fidget Missy! (you'll hear that often this week)

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Fri Oct 12 13:04:49 CDT 2007

We?re fidgeting at IndieCan, but don?t be alarmed.  One of the things
that gives us ants-in-our-pants is when two or more well meaning
promoters of all things beautiful (Canadian indie music, for example),
trip each other up in the race to be indie?s champion.  There?s a
little of that going on in Canada right now.  Next week for instance,
Halifax POP Explosion vies for attention while the Western Canadian
Music Awards happen in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan and in the same weekend
many Canadian music minded folks are drawn to CMJ in NYC.  This very
weekend the 4th annual Indie Week is showcasing great music in Toronto
with the crescendo on Saturday night ? the same day great champions of
Canadian indie, indielove.ca are holding their showcase night of
music.  Oh, and a very relevant nod to the Toronto Songwriters
Festival, which we?ve been advertising on our myspace for weeks now.
This worthy cause raises money, the likes of which go 100% to helping
kids living in third-world conditions.  Oh and did I mention that the
3rd annual Toronto Independent Music Awards gala happens during
Montreal Pop Festival.

Yes, I know and accept the point that ?Hey, isn?t more stages for
indie music to shine on a good thing ? not a bad thing?  After all,
not everyone can be in the spot light at the same time.?  Is there
merit to that point?  Of course, but frankly I think it?s a good face
to a big oh-oh!  It wouldn?t be impossible would it, for IndieWeek,
IndieLove and Toronto?s Songwriters Festival to collaborate ? many
hands, light work, that sort of time-honoured truth?  Everyone?s
working hard, but maybe not so smart.  Maybe I am a wee-bit cranky
because after covering Indie Week for a third day (night), working
through the night to post IndieCan?s 61'st hour of pod casting (a 59th
Episode + 2 ?year in review? shows) and hereI am -- the next afternoon
and I still don?t have enough time to do every thing I want to do to
support these causes, get ready for Halifax next week, and maybe eat
something and get some sleep before another 5 hours of work tonight.
If I am not cranky, I am certainly at that stage of dazed and confused
where the principal of restraint of pen and tongue are lost.  Oh and
did I mention that I felt badly that I couldn?t stop in to the
breast-cancer-research indie music fund raiser that happened last
night, too?

By my own testimony, I am certainly no self-help formula for ?how to
work smarter not harder? but it is worth asking ? can we maybe
communicate and cooperate a bit more?  I think we all know what
happens to the overwhelmed music fan ? overwhelmed isn?t our ?happy
place? is it?  Could all this be because hockey season is starting?
OK, you?re right ? clearly I am out of meaningful things to say.  So,
in my full circle conclusion I suggest to you that I hope you find a
way to enjoy some music this weekend.  If you are faced with a music
dilemma I am sure you can?t make a wrong decision about it, and if you
see me and I still look perplexed, maybe remind me that in the scale
of world suffering, a disturbance in the (musical) force doesn?t even
rank as a significant problem.

And as for you, when you want or need a happy-hour, we have a show
that can help you fall in love with music all over again this week.
The attention deficit disorder styling of Fidget grace the studio of
IndieCan and we feature artists they shared a stage with at Metal
Queen Music Fest a few weeks ago + IndieLove artists they will share a
stage with Saturday, we reminisce and rejoice in the Murray McLauchlin
compilation that?s coming out soon, if not already, plus some early
Indie Week highlights and a much-awaited interview I did with Tony
Dekker of The Great Lake Swimmers.

So if I struck a chord?.. music joke (did you get it?) weigh in at
IndieCan?s facebook, our myspace, my email, or start rumours about me
? it?s all good.  We hope you enjoy this weeks show ?
http://www.indiecan.com - it?s created with love and care.

Warm regards,

Joe Chisholm
host
IndieCan Radio
www.indiecan.com
the best music you?ve never heard!
small print: the confused ramblings of the writer are not likely the
opinion of IndieCan Music, our broadcasters, lawyers, dental
hygienists  or beloved supporters.