Muisc from the Nation's Capital that will knock your toque off

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Fri Jan 11 12:17:51 CST 2008

The year starts with Episode 69 (I leave the jokes to you this week)
in Ottawa with co-hosts Douglas and Woodstock from Whitebird Studios.

The Coggs are live at indieCan. We feel the love with Loud Love and
The Love Machine + Neal Ford, Tim's Myth and Donkey Punch.

We also do a little Halifax this week with award winning photographer
Chr!s Sm!th and IndieCan Douglas talking about how venues and bands
can get more out of their photographers with just a few
considerations. Even for us camera-phone hacks, there's some good
stuff here.  Take me to the show right now please:
http://www.indiecan.com

Having Woodstock and Doug co-host is a first for IndieCan.  Last week
Jesse co-hosted Episode 68 with me and that was a blast.  Dave Cool
(What is Indie?) and the devoted people of Production DNA in Montreal
will be bringing us some new programming starting in the next few
weeks.  We?ll be featuring The Quebec City Indie Scene as a focus of
Episode 70 and Kris Pope and the rest of the Halifax Indie Scene are
working at some new programming too.  Vancouver - I will be there soon
and good things always come for the VanCity scene.

I saw an interview on a CBC show called The Hour with radio program
director Alan Cross who said something profound. In 2000, 25,000
records were released. In 2007, 750,000 records were released. Is is
any wonder why music fans are feeling overwhelmed these days - that's
a lot to sort through.

I guess one of the roles IndieCan plays for some music fans is a
filter. We get and see a lot of music. We don't play it all or report
on all of it. We don't pretend to know what the best is and what the
worst is. But other than having some modicum of production value
(which is really important when you hear as much as we do) we just
look for what's compelling and then try to create an interesting
one-hour show each week.

A few weeks ago, I introduced some of you to a 20 minute video called
?The Story of Stuff? which some of you had some very positive things
to say about and I bet, some of you just didn?t have time to look at
it ? even if you wanted to or you thought you should.  One of the
points it made is that quality of life is down for most people and has
been on a decline for several decades.  We are stressed out and maybe
overwhelmed a lot of the time.

I think this filter idea is something we can all ponder because busy
people seek reliable places they can go to be their filter.  If you?re
a band or just a music fan you have other people who depend on you and
trust you.  Think about being a filter for them some time.  Send them
a short list of bands you like, pod casts you like or a short list of
what ever you are passionate about.

If being a filter for music fans is one of IndieCan?s jobs, that's
cool. We'll do it.  If music filter is our lot, it's an honourable one
and we remain,

Yours truly,

Joe Chisholm
founder,