POLARIS, PRIDE & PAINTED BIRDS

indie at indiecan.com indie at indiecan.com
Tue Jul 15 01:48:21 CDT 2008

Greetings music fans,

I have been a little slow on getting this newsletter out.  Episode 91 is
already posted and 92 is only days away, but I thought I would send a
shout out on a couple of topics:

>From an INDIECAN Face Book Post (you should come have your say too)
The Polaris short list is finalized at 10 records. If you really love
music from Canada and you likely have an opinion, maybe a strong opinion,
like "Why the fuck was Touch Up by Mother Mother completely snubbed?" (If
you’re the sort of person who reads a blog like this you must have one of
your own for this question – Come to Facebook and weigh in on the topic)
or "how did Wintersleep not make the top-10?" Or, it's a good list, I
don't care who wins as long as it's not Two Hours Traffic."

But here you go, a committee of experts have declared this the top 10
records on artistic merit alone and one and only one will win the truly
Canadian sum of $20,000. One of these bands will politely thank the People
of Polaris but seriously, this doesn't cover the summer gas tab for any of
these bands. With local radio stations giving away 100s of thousands of
dollars a year in places like Ottawa and Calgary there is something
slightly embarrassing about the token prize money on a National stage.
Ottawa “Big Money Shot” local quarter-finalists get more than The Polaris
Music Prize Winner.

Just a thought - skip the dinner and expenses and send all the finalists
$10,000. I know, opinions are like.... and I have one of those, I may
actually be one. But just because something is good, and the Polaris Music
Award is good, doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be criticized or
improved upon. I see a good thing, a good start and room for growth.
Anyway, here's the list, let's keep the discussion going

Polaris Music Award 2008 Finalists:

• Black Mountain In The Future
• Basia Bulat Oh, My Darling
• Caribou Andorra
• Kathleen Edwards Asking For Flowers
• Holy Fuck LP
• Plants and Animals Parc Avenue
• Shad The Old Prince
• Stars In Our Bedroom After The War
• Two Hours Traffic Little Jabs
• The Weakerthans Reunion Tour

So come to Face Book and have your say.  We’re listening and we care what
you have to say.

EPISODE 91
We are back stage and front row center taking in the music of Toronto
Pride 2008 with Mad June of Montreal, Jeff Straker from Saskatchewan, and
Hunter Valentine and Shitt Hottt of T.Dot. Also this week The Pride
Parade, Canada Day, celebrated in music. Both Wendy and Jenn were on the
streets and they have shared with us some eye candy and some "What the
hell was that?" pics. Art is beautiful, but it's not always pretty.

>From Vancouver we introduce Adaline and her record, Famous For Fire + live
at IndieCan we have THE PAINTED BIRDS playing tunes and comparing
Vancouver and Toronto music life. Also, in our hot-off-the-press, we have
October Sky (Montreal)'s new record, Hell is not my Home. They are touring
that CD as we speak.

In the listen and learn department, Hayden Neil talks about Labels in THE
NEW INDIE as we rap up our review of this 4-CD set. Hayden knows of what
he speaks as his band Jack Soul learned to thrive in a DIY and Major Label
world. Shortly after this interview was done, back in the Fall, Hayden was
involved in a motor-vehicle accident but is recovering nicely - for those
of you who were asking. First thing's first, Hayden, but we look forward
to seeing you in front of a microphone sometime soon.

COMING SOON ON EPISODE 92
Hey Ocean from Vancouver, a preview of this year’s Toronto Independent
Music Awards + Chinese Food, Ben Hammond, The Brown Hornets, The Stand,
The Golden Dogs and Mother Mother and Dave Martell.

How to connect:
Listen now @ www.indiecan.com/91IndieCanRadio.mp3
Be our friend @ http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24421965144
Get all the latest photos, CD reviews, et al:  http://www.indiecan.com